The tax identification number is issued exclusively by the South African Revenue Service (SARS) when an individual or corporate entity registers for it. It does not have an expiration date and is found on all forms of documents or mails addressed to a taxpayer.
In this article, we will discuss how to get your tax number in 2021.
Register for a tax number manually.
Take the following documents to a SARS branch to get your tax number and register as a taxpayer.
- A true certified copy of your South African ID card, passport, or driver’s license.
- The latest original bank statements have been stamped by the bank and dating up to 3 months back.
- Proof of your current address on a document that has an official letterhead.
- What happens next?
Generally, SARS will register you into their system as a taxpayer and provide your tax number on the spot. You may receive your tax number through the post after your registration.
Register on SARS eFiling
SARS eFiling is a simple and efficient online method of submitting your tax returns to SARS. The best part about this online method of submitting tax returns is that anybody can use it irrespective of their business model or source of income. Additionally, SARS will register you automatically and issue you a personal tax number online. A valid South African ID card is a registration requirement.
The registration process for SARS eFiling
- Visit the SARS website at http://www.sarsefiling.co.za/ and select Register Now on the homepage.
- Fill in your personal information into the eFiling register screen, which will appear immediately, and then click Next.
- In this phase, you will be prompted to fill in your log in details and to complete your contact details. Then, click Next.
- Here, comply with the SARS eFiling website prompting to add your personal information. This information will help SARS register you for a tax reference number. SARS can request that you send in some documents in addition to your personal information.
- Next, choose the best method through which you and the SARS team can communicate, which is either by SMS or by email. SARS will send a One Time Pin (OTP) through your preferred method of communication, which now serves as your eFiling security contact details. The OTP is to verify you whenever the need arises.
- Fill in the OTP number that SARS earlier sent you and click Submit.
- The eFiling log screen will appear as proof of the completion of your registration.
- At this point, you need to fill in the username and password you input in phase 3 of the registration process.
- The SARS eFiling Welcome page will appear on the screen. It has the Terms and Conditions of use. Click I Accept at the end of the page if you agree with all that it says.
- You will see the contact details you previously entered. Select your return types and click Submit to activate your SARS eFiling.
- Next, the SARS eFiling homepage will appear with a summary of your tax affairs.