The Zimbabwean Exemption Permits, also known as the ZEP permits, were executed as a mean of increasing the stay of Zimbabweans in South Africa. They are replacing the ZSPs. Although most individuals think the licenses apply to both South Africans and Zimbabweans, these permits are only applicable to the Zimbabweans.
Are you looking for a guideline on how to apply for the ZEP permits? Consider yourself lucky because this article is providing you with all the information you need regarding these permits.
ZEP online application process
While the Zimbabwean Minister of Home Affairs, Professor Hlengiwe Buhle Mkhize announced the execution of the Zimbabwean Exemption Permits, most Zimbabweans in South Africa were happy. It is because the licenses allow the individuals to extend their stay in South Africa. The Department of Home Affairs of Zimbabwe announced the opening of the Zimbabwe Exemption Permit Centres in 10 cities located in South Africa.
The ZEP online applications will be accepted within these ten cities in South Africa. After individuals have applied for the Zimbabwe Exemption Permits, the ZEP application forms will be assessed in Pretoria by the Department of Home Affairs. However, they have to meet some criteria to qualify for these permits.
Here are the steps one has to follow when applying for these permits;
- Fill in the online application form. The form is only online, and no handwritten forms are allowed.
- Ensure you give an appointment date that is convenient for you. It goes to mean that you should not select a time that you are busy.
- After completing filling in the online form, go ahead and ensure that all your documents are in order. The supporting documents must be those denoted in the requirements for the ZEP permit application.
- Go ahead and make a fixed payment of R1090 per every application. Note that the fee is non-refundable once the form is received by the VFS Global and the Department of Home Affairs.
- On your appointment date, ensure you carry all the required documents, the appointment letter, and a valid passport.
Primary conditions of ZEP permits application
Here are the conditions that an individual should note before going ahead and filling the ZEP online form;
- Only Zimbabwe residents with valid ZSP visas can apply for the ZEP permit
- The licenses will be issued from the 1st of January in 2018 (the date of the expiration of the ZSP visa) and are only valid for four years. It goes to mean that they will expire on the 31st of December in 2021.
- These permits are non-renewable
- These permits do not guarantee the holders a permanent stay in South Africa, despite their period of stay in the country.
- The holder of the Zimbabwean Exemption Permit cannot change the conditions of the licenses during their stay in South Africa.
Requirements for ZEP
Before an individual is given a Zimbabwean Exemption Permit, one should have the following;
- A valid passport
- A valid ZSP visa
- A confirmation of employment if it is applicable
- A proof of study at a specific learning institution if it is applicable
- A confirmation of a business entity if it is applicable
Point to note: If an individual holds a ZSP visa and would like to change their status to one of the mainstream visas of South Africa, then one can do so during the period when their ZSP is valid. However, the changes can only be implemented if an individual meets the requirements of the visa that one desires to apply for. Similarly, to make the changes a success, an individual should ensure they start the application early enough to give them time to complete the process in good time.
How much does one pay for the ZEP permit?
One of the frequently asked questions online is the application fee of the Zimbabwe Exemption Permit. Well, the application fee is R1090 for every application.
ZEP online tracking
The ZEP permit tracking process is straightforward. ZEP tracking online only requires your reference number. The reference number is given to you after paying the fixed amount of the application. After filing in your reference number, a page will open, allowing you to track your permit online. In this page, you will identify how far your application is or if it is ready.
The process of acquiring the ZEP permits is straightforward. All that is required is for an individual to meet the application criteria, have all the required documents such as the confirmation of employment and a valid ZSP visa, and finally pay the R1090 fee. After a while, one can go online to track the license using the reference number acquired after the application payment.