Ever found yourself in a situation where you need to retrieve a specific message on WhatsApp several months down the line? Whether you use this application for work or to keep in touch with your loved ones, I am pretty certain that there are some important conversations and media that you would never want to lose. This is why it is prudent for you to know how to back up WhatsApp chats, images, and videos.
When you save your application messages on the cloud, it becomes easier to access them should you lose, break your smartphone, or upgrade to a new phone. How do I restore my WhatsApp messages to my new phone? Do not worry as we will answer this and more questions on Google Drive and iCloud when it comes to backing up for your WhatsApp.
How do I back up my WhatsApp messages to iPhone?
To discover how to save critical conversations on your iPhone, you need to know that any iOS device communicates with iCloud, and therefore that is where you can save or store all your messages, images, and media. To manually back up your chats on iCloud:
- Go to WhatsApp on your iPhone.
- Click on “Settings.”
- Specifically select “Chat.”
- Then, click “Chat Backup.”
- Lastly, click on “Back Up Now” and you will be done.
Alternatively, you can automatically schedule backups by clicking Auto Backup and then selecting how frequent you want the app to back up itself.
How do I back up WhatsApp chats to Google Drive?
Normally, WhatsApp automatically backs up and stores your chats to the device memory each day. But, one can also make certain settings on the phone so that all chats are saved on Google Drive. By doing so, you can access all your messages even if you delete the application from the device. Always make sure to store the messages before uninstalling the App. Here is how to back up your application with Google Drive.
- Open WhatsApp and tap the menu button located at the top right side of the screen. i.e. the three vertical dots on the top right of your application when you go to the page.
- Tap on the “Settings” option and then “Chats” followed by “Chat Backup.”
- Tapping on the “Chat Backup” opens a page with all the saved information. Here you can choose how often to store your conversations and the Google account you want to store the messages on. From there, you can also determine if you want to save them using Wi-Fi or cellular data or just Wi-Fi only.
- This will store all your application’s conversations and connection to Google Drive.
Because backing up for the first time might take a while, always ensure that your device is plugged to the charger. Also, here is a link to a YouTube video showing you how you can save the chats on Google Drive.
How do I restore my WhatsApp messages to my new phone?
You have everything backed up, wonderful! So now, how do you restore your chats to a new phone? Here are the simple steps to follow.
- Open your WhatsApp on the new Android device.
- Then tap “Agree and Continue.”
- By continuing, you give the app permission to access all your contacts and search for other users of the application.
- The next step includes verifying your country and phone number.
- Next, key in the six-digit authentication code if it does not load automatically.
- After this, click on “Continue” to give the application access to your Google Drive backup.
- The next step includes selecting the account with all your back up information.
- Click on restore and then set up your profile the same way you did before.
Doing the above ensures that you have access to your app’s messages on any new device that has the app on it. All you need to do is to sign up with the same phone number and you are set! For those asking how do I restore my WhatsApp groups on my new phone? It is quite simple. Without changing your phone number, you can switch from one Android device to another and still retain the same messages and groups as guided above.
NOTE: In some circumstances, you might have to uninstall and reinstall your WhatsApp a number of times for the restore to work. Also, be warned that continually reinstalling the application could result in a temporary ban as the app has already recognized your number.
In case you feel that backing in Google Drive is not full proof, you can opt to save the chats to an SSD card and move them in that manner. However, this is a more complicated process than the one for Google Drive. There are also ways to read WhatsApp backup from Google Drive on PC.
WhatsApp is one of the most used apps when it comes to chatting in the world today, and so it is our hope that you have learned a few tweaks on how to back up WhatsApp on Google Drive. This way, you will forever hold on to all your conversations and media from your loved ones.